Thursday 13 February 2014

Snapshot Muse #7 - There's An Old Log Cabin For Sale


If you've followed this blog for a while, you know I'm fascinated with abandoned buildings. I have a few in my collection already - maybe I'll make cards with them one. (If you have the opportunity to capture one of these buildings, I'd appreciate it, if you'd send it my way.) I usually give them a title when I add them to my Deserted Building folder. This one is Standing Guard near Gladstone, Manitoba. (Thanks, Eugene!)

Every time I see one, and there are quite a few on the prairies, I can't help but wonder what stories those dilapidated walls hold. These prairie gems speak of happier days gone by, when they were lived in, surrounded by love and life.

This one, nestled in the trees, sort of has a melancholy aura about it - bulging walls and the sun streaming through the pane less windows. Brutal winds have left their mark on this abode as well. Still, it has a certain beauty about it, rugged and old fashioned - just begging to be given a new lease on life, in a card maybe or a wall calendar... For now, it will grace the wall of my blog, and will most likely remind readers of similar sites in their area.

One of the songs that walked through my mind as I started this post, is an old one from Porter Wagner - 'There's an old Log Cabin' for Sale'. Haven't thought of that tune in a long while. Like my picture, this song is tinged with sadness, and yet holds hints of happier times.


A welcome I read on the floor mat
An old braided rug by the door
The hands of an angel had made it
With many a pray'r - prayed before;
In an old rockin' chair, long she waited
For one glimpse of him how she yearned
And now he was standing in silence
Too late, yes, too late he'd returned.





3 comments:

  1. awwww, the pic doesn't open for me. I wanted to see if I might have chanced upon it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that, Kathy. I'll try to remember to send it to you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for sharing your thoughts!!