Thursday 8 November 2012

Pin This!


Kept you guessing long enough? Thanks for trying! I enjoyed reading your guesses! See if you got it right.
 
My mom is an avid knitter and has been for most of her life. Her slippers, socks and mittens have warmed the feet, hands and hearts of family, friends and strangers in many areas of the world. Creating and giving these practical gifts brings mom as much joy as the person receiving them.

Like every knitter, mom has lots of little left over balls of wool around. Of course, she can’t throw them out, even if a project has left only a golf ball sized sphere. But she has found a nifty, thrifty solution for these yarn bits. Visiting her sister a few years back, she learned a skill that has been passed down for many generations, but which she, surprisingly enough had never picked up. Using mostly leftover wool she makes beautiful pin cushions.

To describe how this is done, is difficult and I’m not an expert with directions, so I’ll have to leave that to your imagination. But I will say, you first need an empty pill container, (Yes, these have to be saved as well.) or any other object with approximately that shape. Some people use a wad of paper or piece of Styrofoam. Then there’s a whole lot of careful winding till you have the desired shape and size, add a pompom and loop and you have a pin cushion that you can’t buy in a store. At least, I’ve never seen one. Would be interesting to know where this method originates from.

 

4 comments:

  1. Well, it's a beautiful one- it looks like it takes a good bit of work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am chuckling! I thought pin cushion when I first saw it even though I have never seen a pin cushion like this!!! I really think we are related, don't you? It looks like a lot of talent goes into making one. If you ever get the written directions, let me know. I am not talented enough to look and go forward on my own. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea! I hate to see things wasted, even little bits of yarn or fabric. What a great solution, I'll have to pass this along to my mother in law (she knits and crochets).

    Have a great weekend!

    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments! Well, Susan, we already know you have relatives at my colony, so maybe we are distantly related.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for sharing your thoughts!!